Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Forthcoming Article on Sickness & the Christian

Dear friends

You may have noticed that it's been a while since I posted anything new here at Jordan's View. I want to let readers know that I have been dealing with muscle aches and pains again. This has prevented me from being able to sit and type at my computer during my free time as much as I'd like.

Dealing with these pains has turned my mind again to the subject of sickness in the Christian life. I have touched on this topic before but surprisingly I haven't posted a blog article about it yet.

I think that sickness is a very important topic, since virtually everyone is touched by physical infirmity from time to time, including Christians. Yet there is a teaching going around that Christians ought never to be sick, or that if/when they get do become sick, it's always an attack of the devil. In this common view illness is something that is never used by God in the life of a Christian-- as an attack of the devil it is something to be rebuked. Apparently God teaches us no lessons when He permits disease to touch our bodies, other than the lesson that we must "rise up and persevere in faith" to defeat illness.

Dealing with chronic illness in my wife, and now also personally, I have come to the conclusion that the assertions made by this teaching (identified mostly as Word/Faith, and common among teachers such as Benny Hinn, Kenneth Hagin, Kenneth Copeland, Frederick Price and others) are faulty. I am gathering my thoughts and hope to be able to post an article on sickness that I hope will be helpful as well as biblical.

Please pray for my healing and that I would honor God in this task.

No comments: