Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Paris and Redemption (July 4th Update)

[This is an update on my original post Why Pick on Paris?]

Paris Hilton is out of jail after serving 23 days. Although she didn't have to serve the full 45 day sentence, it does seem that she has taken to heart the ordeal she went through and learned some important life lessons from it. She issued this statement to her fans on her MySpace page: "Happy 4th of July everyone, and remember to be responsible and have a designated driver! Just looking out for you all. I love you and have an amazing summer!" She also said that "she will cut down on her party lifestyle and will use her notoriety to do good." These are good developments, which we rejoice in and hope will come to pass. I wanted to point them out here, lest people think that Christian commentary is always only about moralizing or criticizing.

"I'm a good person?"
People are fond of saying things such as, "deep down, he's a good person", or "I'm really a good person." Often we say this when we're feeling guilty about something bad that we did. However, according to the Christian world view, no one-- by nature-- is a "good person". And yet, no one is all bad. No person is irredeemable by God, since we're all made in the image of God. God's gracious, transforming love through Jesus Christ can reach anyone, even the most evil persons in the world-- and God has reached out to people like that time and again. In fact, when I look inside my own heart, I find much evil still present within me, despite my being a Christian for many years. Many Christians I know would humbly reveal the same about themselves. We Christians don't see ourselves as naturally more righteous or "better" than others, but we do count ourselves blessed to be believers in the One whose death on the cross paid the penalty for our sins before God and transfers His perfect righteousness over to us. Now, by His enabling grace alone, we must live so as to please the the Lord Jesus Christ who has shown us such mercy and kindness.

Have a blessed fourth of July Holiday!


No comments: